From the Principal
With approximately 50 days left of school, we are starting to plan for the 2018 – 2019 school year. One area that always seems to come to the forefront at this time is student placement. Fortunately at Cherry Brook, we have a wonderful group of students who are eager and ready to learn. In addition, we have a remarkable staff that will work their magic with all of our learners. I truly believe that all of our teachers will do a great job with all of our students.
In May, we will begin our student placement process. Our main goal is to create well-balanced classes that will work well together. This balance includes, among other things, boy/girl ratio, instructional levels, classroom achievement and special needs. Creating balanced classes is important to help ensure success for every student. For your convenience, here is a link to the form that was emailed to families earlier in the month that described the process: CBPS Student Placement Information 18-19
To review, our process for creating classes will be:
- Current classroom teachers create groups of well-balanced classes that will promote a positive learning community.
- Class lists are then reviewed by specials teachers, previous year teachers and administrators and any adjustments are made.
- For students entering grades 1, 2 and 3:
- Your child's teacher will again review the lists and suggest teachers they feel would best meet the needs of the students in those classes.
- The principal, in collaboration with the teachers, will assign a teacher to each class.
- For students entering grade 4:
- Your child's teacher will again review the lists.
- Canton Intermediate School staff will assign a teacher to each group.
Board of Education policy states that parents are asked to not request a particular teacher. In light of that, we do know that parents have information about their children which may help us with placement decisions. Any information you have about your child may be helpful during the placement process. If you would like to share such information, you should do so in writing by using the form on the back of this page. This form is also available on our school website. If you choose to provide additional information, it must be received in writing no later than Friday, May 4 in order to be considered.
Students will be informed of their classroom assignments in mid-August due to staffing and enrollment issues that will not be resolved by the close of school. We will continue to have a modified “Step-Up Day” during the last week of school. Students currently in grades K, 1 and 2 will take a tour of their next grade’s classrooms to familiarize themselves with that part of the building. We also hope to host a meet and greet where students get to meet with their next year teacher and classmates close to the start of school. I will be sure to continue to keep you posted via email on summer happenings as they develop. Thank you for your understanding.
We are fortunate to have such a dedicated staff and it is with confidence that I am able to say that all of our teachers will do a fantastic job with all of our students and make each year at Cherry Brook special. As always, if you have any questions, comments or kudos, feel free to contact me.